Friday, September 22, 2006

A place before tears

I'm only at page 14 of Nicole Krauss' 'The History of Love' (2005)
So very melancholic, you feel it behind your eyes, in your spine, your knees.


Yesterday I saw a man kicking his dog and I felt it behind my eyes. I don't know what to call this, a place before tears. The pain of forgetting: spine. The pain of remembering: spine. All the times I have suddenly realized that my parents are dead, even now, it still surprises me, to exist in the world while that which made me has ceased to exist: my knees, it takes half a tube of Ben-Gay and a big production to bend them. To everything a season, to every time I've woken only to make the mistake of believing for a moment that someone was sleeping beside me: a hemorrhoid. Loneliness: there is no organ that can take it all.
Every morning, a little more.
Once upon a time there was a boy. He lived in a village that no longer exists, in a house that no longer exists, on the edge of a field that no longer exists, where everything was discovered and everything was possible. A stick would be a sword. A pebble could be a diamond. A tree a castle.

No comments: